Monday, January 29, 2007

ISO: Girlfriend

It's been a long time since I had a "best" friend. Sixth grade, I think it was.

From 7th through 10th grades I ran with a gaggle of friends (we weren't popular, so it wasn't scary); we all kind of looked out for each other.

When I was in the middle of 10th grade, I moved two time zones away, to a place so utterly different it took about two years for the culture shock to wear off. By then I recovered enough to have a few pals, but I'm not in touch with anyone from high school now.

I am still in touch with a few people from college, but nobody lives that close to me, and everyone is busy with kids and jobs. Plus we spent four years dealing with each others' crises of every stripe (academic, romantic, health, financial, the list is endless!), and I think we've spent the past 10 years decompressing.

Luckily, the person I married is also a good friend. To everyone, but especially to me. So I'd never really worried about the fact that I didn't have a ready list of coffee dates and movie partners and phone pals.

Until I really needed to call someone at 11:30pm last week. I was in the throes of a delicate marital disagreement and needed perspective. And I had no one. So I had to turn to the person I was furious with and hiss to him that I needed a best friend because he was the last person I wanted to talk to right then. (I did anyway, or there's no way I would have been able to sleep.*)

Thankfully, he understood.

Almost-32 seems to be very late to be in the "I need a best friend" game.

* In my limited fashion, of course. Basically you have to subtract 3-4 hours from the time I am actually in bed. So that night was 1:30-7:30 in bed, probably 3 hours of sleep.

No comments: