Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Late to the party

The Department of Health and Human Services has apparently recently come to the conclusion that breast really is best. Really and truly.

I just have to know: if breastfeeding is the "gold standard," shouldn't it be treated that way?

Unfortunately, I can't foresee the numbers improving a lot unless moms have the option to take a year off after giving birth (like our neighbors to the north and a lot of Europe) or unless HHS kicks some serious ass around the Department of Labor. On-site daycare: standard; nursing breaks: standard; pumping-friendly environments: standard. If it sounds like a pipe dream, it probably is.

It makes me sad to think that there are American babies without equal opportunity access to breastfeeding because their mothers don't have the support at work or have the financial ability or desire to give up their jobs. Seriously, there are all kinds of people standing up for the rights of the unborn, what about the rights of the born (via their nutritional gold standard)?

Do I even have the right to comment on this? I have the luxury of nursing my babies on demand because Taxman makes enough to pay the bills. My electric pump is languishing in a closet because I haven't used it in months and months. I live in a state where not only do I have the right to feed my babies anywhere, but they have the right to nurse wherever they are. (Seriously: you tell me to stop nursing, you're violating my baby's civil rights.)

Based on my readership, I think I'm preaching to the choir; just wanted you all to see the news.

No comments: